Saturday, October 13, 2007

Ramblings

Bismillah Arrahman Arraheem Eid Mubarak!

Eid was yesterday. I hope yours was a good day. On this day, it is now haram to fast. I have seen on the news where the Empire State Building was lit green. It does remind me of the University of Texas lit the tallest building they have on campus burnt orange anytime their football win a game. Green is a symbol of happiness in Islam. It seems that the Muslims and the Irish have something in common. Though I am partial to the color cyan and arctic blue. I drive a car that is that color, but green is my favorite color. It always has been and always will. Green represents good luck and springtime; renewal. To some people, it represents envy. But, it is the opposite of envy to me. In American culture, green is associated with money resulting in greed. To me, it is not so because the federal reserve can choose to make dollar bills any color it wants. They can make them pink and we would still use them to spend them any way we choose.

Old, outdated encyclopedias like the Encyclopedia Americana from 1954 don't list Eid as a topic of interest.
Eid signifies the end of Ramadan.

It is interesting to note the both Christians and Jews practiced fasting before Islam. The object of fasting is not so much to mortify the body as to atone for evil deeds and to commune more intimately with God.

No comments: